Cotton bed linen – advantages, types: The material from which bedding is made is one of the factors that influence the quality of sleep. The ability to work and the mood of a person during the next day depends on how comfortable sleep will be. Therefore, it is important to choose bedding made of natural and body-friendly materials, and cotton bedding specifically refers to such products.
The benefits of cotton
Silky threads are obtained from natural cotton, which are used in the production of cotton bedding. The threads have special properties that make the sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers perfectly absorb moisture. In terms of strength and wear resistance, cotton linen compares favorably with sets of other natural and artificial materials.
Natural cotton linen also has other advantages:
- Low cost.
- Easy care: cotton products can be washed at high temperatures.
- The ability to pass air through which the body interacts with oxygen.
Egyptian cotton for bedding
Egyptian cotton is made from raw materials that grow on the banks of the Nile, hence the name of the fabric. This material is considered noble and is used in the production of elite models of bed linen, which is of high quality. Such cotton bedding can be used for a long time, but for this you need to give these products with due care:
When washing in a washing machine, strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions: this information is indicated on the label. Typically, Egyptian cotton products tolerate well not only washing in a washing machine, but also with the use of chemicals. Please note that when washing dark cotton bedding, hot water is used, and white cold water, and only the delicate mode should be selected.
For such cotton linen, machine drying at low temperatures is acceptable. It is not necessary to iron such sets of bedding, but if necessary, the iron should be set to cotton mode.
Types of cotton fabrics
There are many types of cotton fabrics used for sewing bed linen. Here is the most complete list of them:
- Calico – a light and very delicate fabric that is most often used for sewing children’s cotton bedding sets
- Madapolam (thin cotton fabric similar to batiste) – high-quality calico
- Perkal – a popular material characterized by wear resistance and durability, so you can wash such cotton linen more than three hundred times. Percale is a more wear-resistant material and is much more pleasant to touch
- Poplin – a silky cotton fabric, the production of which uses threads of different lengths. This material is also intended for three hundred washes and colored cotton linen is most often created from it.
- Terry – Beautiful bedding sets are also made of terry cloth, and while this type of cotton is usually used to sew towels, bathrobes, and bath towels, many manufacturers have recently used this fabric to create bedding sets.
- Ranforce – a thin, delicate, but very durable material that is often used in children’s sets
- Cambric – Cotton fabrics also include a thin transparent batiste from which elegant and beautiful linen is sewn, often decorated with lace.
- Flannel – thick material with sparse bristles is also a type of cotton. Flannel is mainly used for sewing warm cotton bedding sets that can be used in winter.
- Twill – twill – another interesting option is a fabric with a twill weave. This feature makes the clothes almost indestructible and wear-resistant, and the twill linen is easy to wash and dries quickly.
- Satin – its varieties are made of cotton. In this case, double-weave threads are used, and the finished fabric is shiny and very dense.
Recommendations for choosing cotton bedding
When choosing cotton bedding, you need to know the exact size of the bed: despite some size standards, these parameters may differ. The sizes of all elements of the set are indicated on the label, also on the label you can find information about the composition of the fabric. If possible, the fabric itself should be carefully examined: from the inside, the linen should be sewn with a special seam, and the edges should be well finished. Good cotton linen is always sewn from a single piece of fabric, sheets or duvet covers should not have a seam in the center, indicating a combination of two different cuts.
The seams themselves must be exactly matched in color, and their ends should not protrude anywhere. High-quality cotton linen should not have any odors, as this may indicate the use of low-quality dyes. And even if there are no unpleasant and pungent odors, it is worth checking additionally by rubbing the front of the product with your hand: high-quality linen does not leave traces of paint on the hands. Proper care of cotton bedding is a guarantee of its long-term use and maintaining an attractive appearance. But in general, cotton products are easy to care for, and it is important to follow only a few basic rules.