How to choose the right paving stone?
How to choose the right paving stone? Nowadays, you can find a lot of different paving stones on the market. They differ in different shapes, materials, textures and colors. In addition, they differ significantly in price, so everyone will find paving stones for themselves depending on their financial capabilities. What should you know before buying paving stones? We answer in this article. We invite you to read!
What are the categories of paving stone division?
When choosing a paving stone for a surface, you should pay attention to several determinants. First of all, the material from which it is made, its size, texture and color should be taken into account.
When considering the choice of paving stones, it is worth knowing what is most important to us. Price or appearance is not a priority for everyone. Some people pay more attention to how durable the paving stone is, resistant to abrasion, durability and water absorption.
Division of paving stones according to the method of production
According to this division, we distinguish the following types of paving stones:
- Standard paving stones – can be used, for example, on sidewalks, parks or parking lots. It has a smooth and uniform surface. It is gray in color, the shape can be double T or rectangular.
- Noble paving stones – such cubes are subject to special treatment during the production process or after its completion. The result is obtaining the necessary aesthetic or functional properties.
Division of noble paving stones
The noble paving stones can be divided as follows according to the surface:
- With a structured surface – it is made to resemble noble surfaces.
- With an antiqued surface – most often hammered, thanks to which it is possible to stylize it to look like an antique – it often resembles old cobblestones, which gives a specific romanticism.
- With a washed surface – its top layer is washed out of the concrete and the colored grain of the aggregate is exposed. Gravel particles are often added to it, which makes it look similar to natural stone.
- Brushed surface – during production, its surface is brushed, thanks to which it obtains the effect of porosity. It is unique in texture.
- Split surface – this paving stone is created by subjecting it to a process of artificial aging, thanks to which it has uneven edges and looks like split stone.
Cobblestones – shape
Paving stones can be divided by shape. The most popular forms include:
- Square – it is a simple and universal shape,
- Hammer – unusual shape, thanks to it you can create specific surface patterns,
- Cegiełka – a simple form, giving many possibilities of arranging and creating interesting patterns,
- Bone – is often found in park alleys or public pavements,
- Trapezoid – arranging such a shape requires more skills,
- Wave – thanks to such a cube you can create interesting motifs on the surface.
The material of performance and the type of ankle
The division criterion according to what the paving stones were made of is very important.
- Fieldstone – cubes made of fieldstone have an irregular shape. It is worth remembering that such pavement has a specific appearance and does not fit everywhere.
- Single-layer – it is made of one type of concrete, it is less flexible and durable.
- Stone – is usually made of basalt and granite, but there are also sandstone and limestone cubes. The stone cube is appreciated due to the fact that it is resistant to frost, sun, acids and high temperature. It does not absorb water, it is durable and aesthetic.
- Concrete – it is a cube produced during compaction of fresh concrete mix. They are resistant to low and high temperatures, easy to clean and install.
- Two-layer – consists of a construction layer made of concrete mixed with gravel and a finishing layer with fine aggregate inside. Thanks to this combination, such a paving stone is durable and looks nice.
What colors of paving stones can be found?
There are many colors and shades of paving stones on the market, including:
- melange color – the top layer of the cube varies in color intensity. The cubes can have two dominant colors or alternate with different colors, so when properly arranged, they can give an unusual effect.
- solid color – a cube that has been produced in one shade.
Size of paving stones
The most common paving stones are:
- 4 cm – it is a cube ideal for laying a surface that can be walked on by pedestrians and vehicles weighing no more than 2 tons,
- 6 cm – the surface of this block is perfect for lining surfaces intended for pedestrian traffic and vehicles not heavier than 3.5 tons,
- 8 cm – this thickness is resistant to truck traffic,
- 10-14 cm – the surface made of such a thick block is very durable and is used where there is a movement of trucks and heavy machinery.